Re: Buffer cache statistics (ratios) and CBO SQL optimization?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:51:51 -0000

I've been trying to avoid the whole buffer cache argument, but had to comment below.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK___November

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message

> Yet, Oracle insists on getting everyone to use its own.
Only with regard to cache that is in the same box as the SGA - not for cache lurking at the end of bits of wet string.
> That's where the logical versus physical I/O speed and timing
> conundrum comes in: exactly what constitutes a logical or a
> physical I/O nowadays? Does it even make sense to STILL use
> those terms?
>
> I don't think so. To me, there are two types of I/O in a system:
> cached and un-cached. Who caches it is for performance evaluation
> purposes essentially irrelevant. All else I'm afraid is just nuances,
> "versionitis" and "feature-itis".
I disagree - if Oracle needs to read a block in the file-system cache then the session has to set up a callback, block a buffer header, go into its waitstate, and go off the run queue; on being awoken, it has to clear the wait state and change the state of the buffer header before continuing. In the meantime other processes could have been queueing on the exclusive lock on the buffer header - also going into waitstates and setting callbacks If the block had been in the Oracle cache, all the processes could have acquired shared pins on it without waiting - reducing task switches, extra CPU costs and so on.