9iR2 export issue

From: Goran <goran99_remove_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:33:24 +0100

After (test) upgrade an 81740 db on HP-UX to 92040, we encountered an interesting behaviour.
Standard backup/export procedure that we use on 8i production for export of several schemas doesn't work properly after upgrade... 9i export consistently encounters:
"EXP-00056: ORACLE error 1466 encountered ORA-01466: unable to read data - table definition has changed" while attempting to export certain tables; export lasts for several hours and produces ~30GB dump file...

Asuming that the tables really change their structure, as the error implies, we performed an investigation regarding the activities in the database; we learned from our users that structures of those several tables don't actually get changed (if they did, we would probably encounter the error in 8i production), but that users' procedures periodically trucate (few, several, many?) tables being exported.

So we performed a little reproduction test on both versions: exporting a schema with two tables and truncating the second table while export of the first table is in progress We noted that 8i export actually never reports this error, but 9i export (from 9i test db) always reports the error.

Since this is a complex and huge database and the export lasts for quite a long, we can't move the export time window. We can neither predict the truncate times, since there is user procedures activitiy all the time.

Is this behaviour expected/normal/documented in 9i db compared to 8i? Any ideas how to workaround it?

Thanks and regards,
Goran Dokmanovic, DBA
VIPNet d.o.o, Zagreb, Croatia Received on Mon Dec 29 2003 - 07:33:24 CST