Re: Installation fails win2k/9i

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:13:34 GMT

Tom Jones wrote:

> Summery:
> When I run setup it just returns having done nothing with no error messages
>
> Background:
> Win2k and 9i server ... all i need to do is a default installation in order
> to test some PHP query routines ... so I don' need anything fancy running on
> the server.
>
> I have :
> Oracle9i (9.2.0.1.0) for Mircrosoft Windows NT/2000.XP (Y180155)
> a 3 disk set and win2k w/ sp3
>
> I am not connected to a network and i wonder if that could be part of the
> problem .. if the installation process requires stuff from Oracle site -
> howvwer I load the disk .. get the start screen from the cd and select
> install (tried it copying to hard disk first and then running the auto start
> ... and tried just running startup.exe .. in all cases the program starts to
> exicute and then just returns having done nothing and with no error
> messages.
>
> can any one help?
> can anyone give me a pointer to rudimentary installations instructions or
> tutorial?
>
> Thanks
> Tom

In case you didn't catch on:

http://otn.oracle.com/obe/start/index.html is a step by step install guide.

And Anurag's note is about possible Java conflicts. You possibly have a JVM installed that's way up front in your PATH/CLASSPATH and the JVM Oracle supplies as part of the install is being suppressed. (Suggestion - read the install guide for work around).

Another possibility is your machine is too small - suggest 512M RAM & 1G swap Received on Sat Dec 27 2003 - 15:13:34 CST