Re: system_stats vs table_stats

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 10:30:27 -0800

RR wrote:
> Hi all, I'm confused about the differences between
> dbms_stats.gather_table_stats
> and
> dbms_stats.gather_system_stats
>
> I understand that the gss takes into account cpu etc, but does it also
> calculate statistics on tables and indices?
>
> Other side of the question, gts gathers stats on the tables, but for
> them to be used, do they need to saved into the system_stats table,
> then imported? Will these statistics overwrite the system statistics?
>
> I can't seem to find any definitive answer in the doco that explains
> whether they are mutually exclusive or work together.

How hard did you look & where did you look?

I don't understand what you mean by "mutually exclusive". They do different things; which is why there are two different procedures.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96612/d_stats2.htm

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96612/d_stats2.htm#1010477

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96612/d_stats2.htm#1003993 Received on Sat Dec 27 2003 - 12:30:27 CST