system_stats vs table_stats

From: RR <rickraster_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2003 10:20:25 -0800

Hi all, I'm confused about the differences between dbms_stats.gather_table_stats
and
dbms_stats.gather_system_stats

I understand that the gss takes into account cpu etc, but does it also calculate statistics on tables and indices?

Other side of the question, gts gathers stats on the tables, but for them to be used, do they need to saved into the system_stats table, then imported? Will these statistics overwrite the system statistics?

I can't seem to find any definitive answer in the doco that explains whether they are mutually exclusive or work together.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Cheers,

Rick

9ir2/linux Received on Sat Dec 27 2003 - 12:20:25 CST