Re: Oracle 9.2.0.4 ?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:45:58 -0000

"David Williams" <djw_at_smooth1.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:bsir6f$8ej$1_at_news8.svr.pol.co.uk...

> Why can't I get an evaluation copy of something that works? Remember
> Oracle are supposed to be trying to convince me to build apps and so
> increase sales of the product...not try to screw money out of me!
>
> As a developer I can easily get the latest version of MS SQL Server...
> in fact MS sent me eveything...
>
> - System Management Server
> - Exchange Enterprise Server
> - Exchange Conferencing Server (??)
> - Visual Studio Architect Version (the most expensive edition)
> - Commerce Server (Enterprise Edition!)
> - Application Centre (??)
> - Integration Server
> - Sharepoint Portal Server (??)
> - Internet Security and Acceleration Server (?? but I do get the
Enterprise
> Edition!)

For free? I think not. Do they provide product support and patches for them?

> If companies want me to build systems using their products then they
should
> give me
> evalation copies...what so they could lose out on 1 developer license..and
> get 50
> licenses purchaser from my 1st customer! And like I wouldn't buy a proper
> version
> and that point anyway...I would need support too so I can support my
> customer
> properly!

We obviously have a different mindset. I believe that evaluation means looking at the product and seeing what it does for a period of time. Oracle provide this. You seem to believe that evaluation means building products from scratch up until time to market. Do you 'evaluate' hardware or offices or any other asset in the same way?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA