Re: Backing Up Oracle 8i - Stopping NT Service

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Dec 2003 23:46:12 -0800

Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3FE895D3.96E9F6FC_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> > What if I set the registry parameters "parameter ora_shutdown or
> > ora_sid_shutdown to True." Will that help?
>
> Set ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN to TRUE in your registry and also set
> ORA_SID_SHUTDOWNTYPE to 'I' for "immediate". Then, when you shut down
> the service, it should do a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE on your instance.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> Brian Peasland
> dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

I would like to add, that if you are running the Oracle Agent that is installed by default, and its service set to automatic, that you will want to stop its service first, as it can cause a hang in the shutdown immediate of the instance that the agent is connected to. What Brian describes will "attempt" a shutdown immediate. Whether or not a shutdown immediate is processed in a reasonable amount of time is another matter.

You might also want to set a few parameters in the registry. By default, the WaitToKillServiceTimeout is only 20 seconds. That parameter:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\WaitToKillServiceTimeout

may need to be increased from its default of 20 seconds.

(as always, backup your registry using regedit.exe prior to making changes to it).

You might then set the service timeout to a higher value with the oradim.exe utility. To see its man page, just type "oradim" at a command prompt.

Pd Received on Sat Dec 27 2003 - 01:46:12 CST