Re: Hardware lever clustering for RAC/IBM Servers

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:07:06 -0800

Anand wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Our team is attempting to install Oracle 9i Real Application
> CLusters on IBM Boxes with The storage is IBM EXP 300 using SCSI
> Channel to connect to servers Servers are IBM X255.
>
> Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> H.S.Anand (Oracle DBA)
> Accel ICIM S & S Ltd., New Delhi

Based on my read on IBM's technology you have storage that can not be used with RAC.

For RAC you must have clusterware that supports a shared file system. This does not meet shared storage where multiple users share the same space ... but rather complete sharing of files where multiple users can simultaneously open, read, write, and close the exact same files.

The cost of IBM's clusteware is quite high. I'd suggest, unless you have information I don't that you talk to NetApps or someone else selling the correct hardware for RAC.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu