Re: Buffer cache statistics (ratios) and CBO SQL optimization?

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 08:00:53 -0500

"Geomancer" <pharfromhome_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cf90fb89.0312241847.beaef25_at_posting.google.com...
> > this one? Its trash. Burn it if you have it.
> >
> > http://www.bookpool.com/.x/67onteh2t0/sm/0972751343
>
> To each his own, but I have Robin Schumachers book and I find it quite
> useful.
>
> As the tuning guru for Embarcadero, Schumacher has tuned hundreds of
> databases, and I think that his insights are invaluable. I've also
> seen him speak at conferences and what he says makes a lot of sense.
Its a 160 page book in large type. Nothing in it. Plus its loaded with inaccuracies. Especially the garbage about cache hit ratio. The best beginner book for tuning is 'Tuning 101'. Its very good. You ever use embarcadero tools? I downloaded their SQL tuner. All it did was throw in every hint possible and re-run the queries. Complete piece of garbage.

Just because someone speaks well does not mean they have a good book.

> By the way, I also like the Rampant Oracle Utilities book by Dave
> Moore. Lots's of great tips in there.

tell me one thing that is in that utilities book that you cant get for free off of otn? I didnt see anything. Its almost a copy and paste. Received on Thu Dec 25 2003 - 07:00:53 CST