Re: buffer hit cache ratio should be ...

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:45:09 +0100

On 24 Dec 2003 05:45:17 -0800, idogan_tech_at_yahoo.com (Ibrahim DOGAN) wrote:

>Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_nescape.net> wrote in message news:<bsae44$8t5
>> In other words: don't bother. I'd worry if users start complaining,
>> and run then statspack - or HotSos's tools.
>>
>that's so bad if you find out the issues about your databases when
>users start complaining about them.. Look up the term "proactive DBA"
>in your DBA dictionary...
>
>DBAs should promote continous monitoring to fix the problems before
>they surface to user community instead of sitting back, waiting the
>time users start screaming around about the performance...
>
>i.d.

Too many DBAs keep themselves occupied by fixing problems the end-user doesn't perceive as a problem.
Too many DBAs try to sell off a meaningless improvement as a 'solution' of the end-users problem, where the end-user doesn't seem any improvement.
Too many DBAs keep themselves busy with browsing to deluges of meaningless statistics

Guess you fit in all of these categories.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA