Re: buffer hit cache ratio

From: Geomancer <pharfromhome_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 Dec 2003 07:13:46 -0800

> that is not accurate. milsap is active on oracle-l_at_fatcity.com. He has
> repeatedly said that BHCR is only useful to tell you if you have alot
> of very bad sql. Namely if its VERY high, you have alot of terrible
> sql.

My point exactly, BHR does have some (albeit very limited) uses! Yes, I agree that the BHR is largely useless, but it does tell you some general things, like when the OCP-Certified DBA forgot to set the db_cache_size parameter!

Also, if caching (and cache ratios) are so irrelevant, then please educate me:

Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Received on Wed Dec 24 2003 - 09:13:46 CST