Backing Up Oracle 8i - Stopping NT Service

From: Coder <none_at_none.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:09:47 GMT

I'm running Oracle 8i (8.1.7.4) on a Windows 2000 Server machine (Sp4).

If you stop the NT Service that contains the oracle instance (i.e. service name = Oracle_Home_SID), my understanding is that doing this is akin to issuing a "shutdown abort."

Is this true? Can it damage the database? Is it likely to damage a database if no users are on it?

What if I set the registry parameters "parameter ora_shutdown or ora_sid_shutdown to True." Will that help?

What I'm really trying to get at, is what should be done before doing a cold backup (offline) using NTBackup?

Thanks! Received on Tue Dec 23 2003 - 11:09:47 CST