Re: buffer hit cache ratio

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 23 Dec 2003 05:11:09 -0800

pharfromhome_at_hotmail.com (Geomancer) wrote in message news:<cf90fb89.0312221936.14869401_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Tuning by the BCHR is not done by today's top Oracle professionals.
>
> Depends on who you consider a "top" professional.
>
> Tom Kyte and Cary Millsap both argue that the BHR is not a panacea,
> but is IS useful for detecting when the data buffers are way too
> small.
>
> The BHR is VERY similar to the v$db_cache_advice view.

that is not accurate. milsap is active on oracle-l_at_fatcity.com. He has repeatedly said that BHCR is only useful to tell you if you have alot of very bad sql. Namely if its VERY high, you have alot of terrible sql.

Kyte says the only ratio he uses is parse/execute. Its in both of his books and i believe on his website.

do you actually read this stuff before posting? I see alot of really silly comments from you on these forums. Now as people here will tell you, Im not always right, but damn... you really should be careful what you say. Your info is not even close most of the time.

The only author I have seen that says to use BHCR recently(niemic took it out of his new book), is the tuning book from Rampant Press(not the one from burleson). However, anyone who has flipped through the rampant press books can tell you that they are mostly pieces of garbage. Though the ault rac one does look nice... Received on Tue Dec 23 2003 - 07:11:09 CST