Re: Using EXTPROC to then make a system call to EXP hangs the EXP

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:08:16 +0100

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:24:32 -0000, "steve hayes" <steve.hayes_at_baesystems.com> wrote:

>You are correct. I would ideally be using ORACLE 10g !
>
>Our end user specifies the RDBMS - we can advise in the strongest terms, but
>we only do what the customer tells us (and pays for!). This system has been
>around for years, and it's only now the end user wants to upgrade to Win 2K
>(so this forces 8.1.7). If you can tell me that 9i/10g fixes it then that's
>even better news.
>
>Steve

The stupidity is not in a specific version. The stupidity is in using export import to replicate data, where Oracle has the capability to connect to remote databases and set up a distribute database, and also has a replication facility to replicate data automatically. You are using a sledgehammer and it is quite right it doesn't work. You should also never ever misuse the external procedure facility to call other tools. For that purpose there are scripting languages.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA