Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 21 Dec 2003 12:39:47 -0800

"DJ" <nospamplease_at_goaway.com> wrote in message news:<YdhFb.7800$FN.5019_at_newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net>...

> If I had my way, I would let the customer (i.e. you) go into the app and
> suggest improvements and maybe tune it yourself (at instance level anyway)
> then feedback what you do to us so we can incororate, more times than not we
> come across some very clever people who cant help us cos it isnt alloweed.

Nothing wrong with that. Check out how many 3rd parties allow for that? None. Says it all. The "not invented here syndrome" is alive and well. Notwithstanding all the hype on FSF and open source...

> The only thing I would stop people doing is SQL tuning as if you break
> something then it can get messy

Plenty wrong with that. There is nothing in standard Oracle SQL tuning that will change the result set of a SQL statement. It will be quite straightforward to do in 10g and after. Not as easy in 9i and 8i, but can be done.

Interesting conversation. Check out though in the next few months how many people will suddenly "convert" to open tuning, ASM and other little snippets discussed here as the way to go. With not a single reference as to where they heard it first...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Sun Dec 21 2003 - 14:39:47 CST