Re: What's free in Oracle for Linux?

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: 20 Dec 2003 21:17:46 -0800

"DJ" <nospamplease_at_goaway.com> wrote in message news:<Yi4Fb.7348$526.52176_at_newsfep4-glfd.server.ntli.net>...

> It's free on all platforms and licensed based on trust.

You are confirming my perceptions. In other words, there is nothing special about Oracle's treatment of their products towards the Linux/open source community. Linux and all the other supported platforms are treated _exactly_ the same.

What about the "GNU/Linux copyleft"? Does it apply to Oracle? Does it affect Oracle at all? If I need to debug the OCI libraries under Linux, for instance, can I get the source code?

> Oracle is free to download and use IF you are not using it for commercial
> purposes.

That's what they say, but I don't believe it. The Oracle server images for Linux available at OTN, will NOT install unless I get a patch from Metalink, and Metalink costs big bucks. Oracle places an incomplete "free" product in their web server, but in order for it to run you need a "key" (although they call it "patch"). Am I missing something here?

> A fantastic idea I think

The idea is wonderful, but it seems to me that it is just an idea, not an actual implementation.

-Ramon Received on Sat Dec 20 2003 - 23:17:46 CST