Re: Background Processes and I/O

From: Michael J. Moore <NOhicamelSPAM_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 04:44:59 GMT

> > SMON performs instance recovery, so it must read from redo logs. The
manuals
> > I have read are not clear on how SMON does this, but if it does read,
then
> > that counts as I/O, right? SMON also cleans up temporary segments anc
> > coalesces free extents. Can it do this without performing I/O?
>
> SMON might to I/O at instance startup; also to the rollback segments for
> uncommitted "transactions" (which I'll stipulate is an oxymoron).
>
> I agree that the OCP test questions leave a lot to be desired.

Well you did straighten me out about CKPT ... thanks. It is interesting that even in the Oracle manuals, their diagrams never show SMON pointing to any of the files, only pointing to the SGA. This leaves me wondering if SMON actually performs it's own I/O or invokes some other process to do it's dirty work. I wish they would give a little more detail. Received on Sat Dec 20 2003 - 22:44:59 CST