Re: Background Processes and I/O

From: Michael J. Moore <NOhicamelSPAM_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 04:06:01 GMT

"Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:8t8Fb.32649$BQ5.21787_at_fed1read03...
> Michael J. Moore wrote:
> > Okay, but why would CKPT be any more true than SMON? Does not SMON also
> > perform I/O?
> >

> > "Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I/O

> > answers

> >>I agree with "their" answer.
> >>Which process writes to the control files?

> Top posting is rude!
>

> DBW - does I/O to datafiles
> ARC - Does I/O when archiving redo logfiles
> CKPT- Updates control files.
> LGWR- Writes redo logfiles.
> To which file(s) does SMON read & write?

Sorry, I didn't know that top posting is rude.

SMON performs instance recovery, so it must read from redo logs. The manuals I have read are not clear on how SMON does this, but if it does read, then that counts as I/O, right? SMON also cleans up temporary segments anc coalesces free extents. Can it do this without performing I/O? Received on Sat Dec 20 2003 - 22:06:01 CST