Re: Using EXTPROC to then make a system call to EXP hangs the EXP

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Dec 2003 10:26:26 -0800

"steve hayes" <steve.hayes_at_baesystems.com> wrote in message news:<3fe2c781_at_baen1673807.greenlnk.net>...
> RDBMS Version: 8.1.7.4.12
> Operating System and Version: Win 2000 SP4
> Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): extproc EXP RESOURCE MANAGER
> Product Version: Pentium 4 2GHz Windows system
>
> Using EXTPROC to then make a system call to EXP hangs the EXP
>
> We have set up a package to use extproc to call our own DLL
> (AXDBEVENTER.DLL). This is used to execute system commands.
>
> We use it mainly to perform 'EXP user/pwd file=xyz.dmp tables=(a,b,c)',
> which is used to transmit data to another system.
>
> We have a resource_manager plan set to system_plan, but this is used
> elsewhere.
>
> This worked OK on 8.1.5, on NT4 sp6 machines, but on 8.1.7.4.12 and Win 2K
> it just hangs. Removing the resource manager plan seems to fix it.
>
> Is this a Pentium 4 problem, or Active Directory ? or something else ?

Perhaps when the Oracle Security Alert was issued covering the vulnerability in the TNS Listener and extproc, your DBA removed the entry from the listener.ora file for the External Procedure Listener that was created by default?

If I was administering the box, that certainly would have been the case.

Maybe when the patchsets for 8.1.7.4.x were behind the 9.2.0 ones for a more recent vulnerability, your dba decided to run a 9.2 listener for the 8.1.7 dbs as that was a more secure configuration.

You can check to see if the external procedure listener is running via the lsnrctl utility (lsnrctl.exe).

Pd Received on Sat Dec 20 2003 - 12:26:26 CST