Re: Forms6i connection problem with DB 9.2.0.4, error-3106

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:52:34 +0100

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:33:24 -0500, "Sean Chang" <sean_at_cnfei.com> wrote:

>Hi, Everyone,
>(posted on metalink, suggested to apply patch 15, still the same error)
>
>Forms 6i connection to Oracle 9.2.0.4, error: 3106
>
>Forms 6i ( downloaded from otn:6i-rel2-xp.zip ) running on
>windows (2k professional , 98, xp etc).
>Database server: oracle 9.2.0.4 EE on Solaris 9 (64-bit if that helps)
>Problem: when I try connect Forms 6i to Database 9.2, I got
>error: ora-3106---fatal two-task communication error
>Diagnosis: look far and wide, most posts suggested Language
>incompatibilites: Forms 6i uses English, DB use UTF-8.
>However Forms 6i can connect 8.1.7 DB (on the same host as DB 9.2.0.4)
>without any problem.
>
>Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

According to your post the database is on Solaris. According to the network log you are connecting from a PC. The connection string shows you are using the BEQ protocol. The BEQ protocol is a non-routable protocol which works on the server only. Thus the error 12203 (shown in the log) is obvious.
There are situations where Oracle falls back on using the BEQ protocol. Maybe this is such a case. The problem might also be the huge version difference.
To allow further troubleshooting you definitely need to post listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora The tnsping utility only guarantees there is a listener running.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA