Re: Slow 'alter tablespace begin backup'

From: Andy Pennington <andy_pennington_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2003 09:25:52 -0800

So, to replay this: its the checkpointing which is taking longer (approximately 1 minute for each tablespace).

The thing that confuses me is that immediately prior to the 'begin backup' statements, there is a log switch, so I would have thought this would have already checkpointed the database, flushing all the dirty blocks etc, leaving only a few to flush when the begin backup statements start. Is this not the case?

Can I shorten this checkpointing period, perhaps by forcing a checkpoint earlier, or by somehow otherwise flushing the dirty blocks?

By the way, many thanks for your responses so far, guys.

Andy.