Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2003 08:50:30 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1071675255.966810_at_yasure>...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>
> > "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
> >
> >>Actually not. Having spent the past weekend building RAC nodes and
> >>working on the differences between RAC and grid I can assure you that
> >>they are very substantial. There is not only no farce ... there is a
> >>technological improvement here that is incredible.
> >>
> >>The NDA, or perhaps my fear of it, prevent me from going into detail.
> >>But the differences are very significant: At least as large as OPS to
> >>RAC and that was a complete rearchitecture.
> >

> > Hmmm. I don't thing that I'd describe RAC as 'a complete rearchitecture' of
> > OPS. I think it would be better to describe it as a fixed implementation of
> > OPS. That doesn't mean it isn't a huge improvement, but it certainly wasn't
> > pull out all the old OPS code and replace it with nice shiny new version 1
> > RAC code - if it was it sure as hell wouldn't have worked apart from
> > anything else.
> >
> > cheers
>
> I'll most respectfully disagree. Think back to OPS and the block
> pinging. The inability to share blocks between nodes. With RAC's cache
> fusion the architecture is completely different.

We have run OPS since version 7.0 and on version 8 while working with support on OPS specific bugs support referred to our bugs as cache fushion bugs. RAC has been in development for a long time no matter Oracle's official line to the contrary.

RAC is a fixed OPS but I have been told RAC is not truely that hard to break. We have some small RAC systems now. By next January we should have a good sized on one on 9.2.0.4 and we will see once we departition our application how well it works.

I wonder why Oracle did not choose to send only the change data to the instance which holds the dirty block rather than transfer the entire block to the last instance that wants to update it. Oracle probably has a good reason but just sending row data would decrease interconnect traffic.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Dec 19 2003 - 10:50:30 CST