Re: ¿Products benchmark for development?

From: Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:23:22 +0100

Teksure wrote:

> Hello, I need to know that product for development can use for my development staff
>
> Please recommend me the best among:
>
> DreamCoder
> http://www.mentattech.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PagEd&file=index&page_id=12
>
> PL/SQL Developer
> http://www.allroundautomations.nl/plsqldev.html
>
> TOAD
> http://www.quest.com/toad/
>
> Thank you for the information that you can offer me

Don't know the first - instead consider JDeveloper; it has PL/SQL tracing/debugging possibilities like the other two. Haven't used JDev much (yet), but have used the other two.

TOAD is too expensive and lagging behind in supporting the latest features of Oracle. Debugging is easier in PL/SQL Dev than in TOAD (although the latest, 7.6, version does an equally good job), but PL/SQL Dev has Explain AND Profile as standard options in Run/Debug, whereas TOAD does not Profile.

In my book (apart from the $$ issue), PL/SQL Dev is more a developer's tool - TOAD is one for all (the DBA module might be scary to let developer's play around with).

But seriously consider JDeveloper, which is possibly free; you'll need to check that yourself.

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
Frank van Bortel