Re: Oracle Upgrade 9.0 to 9.2

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Dec 2003 23:15:18 -0800

empete2000_at_yahoo.com (Pete's) wrote in message news:<6724a51f.0312180547.1aecf8eb_at_posting.google.com>...
> "John Wood" <jwood_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<8IaEb.102405$bC.38876_at_clgrps13>...
> > I am running Oracle 9.0.1.4 on Window 2000 platform. I plan to upgrade the
> > Oracle to 9.2.
> > I was told that in order to have clean upgrade, it is better to do a full
> > export. Then delete the datafile in the older version, run the upgrade,
> > create the needed tablespace, then do the import.
> >
> > This way we will not see any odd problem.
> >
> > Please advise if this is true.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jw.
>
> Don't know why they told you that. I'm not running win2k, but, on aix
> 4.3.3 I upgraded a 9.0.1.3 instance to 9.2.0.4 without any problems.
> I don't see the added value in doing an export, deleting the database,
> creating a new 9.2 instance and then doing an import, seems like a lot
> of extra work. Why not test the upgrade process on a test instance?
>
> HTH,
> Pete's

call me a terminology nazi, at troll, whatever, but

one upgrades a database, one does not upgrade an instance. you can downgrade an instance, by pulling the freaking plug. an instance dies when the ups fails, or when you perform a cold backup prior to performing maintenance work on a database.

check the concepts manual.

Pd Received on Fri Dec 19 2003 - 01:15:18 CST