Re: ASSM worth it?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:53:35 -0000

I wouldn't bother at present - the concept is quite nice, but there are still (9.2.0.4) a few nasty implementation features (bugs even) in ASSM which can have serious side-effects on space management or performance.

(See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/bustbits.html for a particularly amusing example - still fails in 9.2.0.4 but fixed in 10.1).

If you execute very large numbers of small insert statements with a high degree of concurrency, then ASSM could cause significant latching problems.

If you currently set PCTFREE to anything in excess of 75 (which would be a little unusual, notwithstanding the comment in the article referenced by Geomancer) then you it is possible to get severely burned on space wastage on deletes.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html