Re: UTF8 Characters Loaded With SQLLDR

From: Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:00:00 +0100

Russ wrote:

> Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net> wrote in message news:<brqf51$l2l$1_at_news4.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
>

>>Russ wrote:
>>

>>>Hello:
>>>
>>>We are loading files with UTF8 Characters (such as İ and Ç)
>>>My CTL File has:
>>>LOAD DATA
>>>CHARACTERSET UTF8
>>>APPEND
>>>INTO TABLE EXT_STG_SPEND
>>>.... then the columns....
>>>
>>>We set NLS_LANG on Linux to
>>>export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8
>>>
>>>In Oracle:
>>>NLS_LANGUAGE = AMERICAN
>>>NLS_TERRITORY = AMERICA
>>>NLS_CHARACTERSET = UTF8
>>>NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = UTF8
>>>
>>>When I run this SQLLDR, The string: "PC İÇİN ALINAN LİSANS BED." gets
>>>input into my table as "PC ¿¿ ALINAN L¿ANS BED."
>>>
>>>I know that my DB supports "PC İÇİN ALINAN LİSANS BED." because when I
>>>enter it by hand it can maintain it.....
>>>
>>>I have read countless articles on the subject to no avail....
>>>
>>>Any help or direction on where to look would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>
>>Change your PC's charset - it's probably ISO; guess WE8MSWIN1252
>>would do it (that would match your OS) - else UTF8 - just as the server
>

> How do I change my characterset on Linux?
> Also, note that I can use vi and view the characters as they should be
> from my Linux system?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Russ

My fault - I assumed you were using SQL*Loader on the server, and then displaying (using ???) on a Windows PC.

Please post what tools you use where - the earlier advice might be way off.

Charset in Linux would be using the export command - use env to show the current settings:
export NLS_LANGUAGE=AMERICA_AMERICAN.UTF8

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel