Re: RAID5 Poll

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 18 Dec 2003 09:10:41 -0800

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote in message news:<a1d154f4.0312180238.3854212d_at_posting.google.com>...
> "Burt Peltier" <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<4LbEb.8918$3k6.8407_at_bignews5.bellsouth.net>...
> > Please to not post replies with comments on why not or do not suggest why
> > something is better.
> >
> > I am just trying to get a general informal feedback from only
> > people/companies using RAID5 to store ANY Oracle online files.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --
>

> Why? I think you already know the answer. There are more than enough
> companies who don't involve their DBAs on harwdware purchases, the
> hardware is purchased by a bean counter, the SYSTEM comes with RAID-5,
> so the answer is obvious.
>
> You also know you shouldn't be using RAID-5 for online redologs.
> That simple FACT (which you deliberately want to ignore) WON'T be
> refuted by ANY 'informal' (read useless) 'Poll'
>
> If you want to behave like an oystrich, and put your head in the sand,
> you don't want to know how many other oystriches there are out there.
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

www.baarf.com

that has alot of information about why RAID 5 is bad. taking random polls on a newsgroup where anyone can post is the wrong approach. You can take a look at all the authors on that site and then find out background information on them(they are all well known). This way you can test your authors. If I post my opinion, there is no way for you to really test me is there?

Plus those articles are very well written. Received on Thu Dec 18 2003 - 11:10:41 CST