Re: Multi-Master Replication over an air-gap

From: Andrew Blakeslee <andrew_at_soft-solutions-inc.com>
Date: 18 Dec 2003 06:09:28 -0800

Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<iSIDb.8222$Oh1.249_at_twister.socal.rr.com>...
> Gerry Sinkiewicz wrote:
> > The answer is probably to secure both devices on a secure isolated network
> >
> > That would be the only way to satisfy a security audit, if it is
> > multi-master, then
> > the information goes both ways, so the information is just as "sensitive" at
> > both ends, isn't it?
> >
> > "Andrew Blakeslee" <andrew_at_soft-solutions-inc.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I am investigating a scenario where I need to keep two databases
> >>synchronized, but there cannot be a physical connection due to
> >>security constraints. Is it possible to setup a multi-master
> >>replication scenario where the replication transactions are copied to
> >>a removable media from one database and then loaded from the removable
> >>media to the other database at fixed intervals? There should be a
> >>relatively low volume of transactions, so the size of the data being
> >>transferred should not be an issue.
> >>

> The OP didn't say this but I had assumed that the information being
> replicated was not security sensitive since this is multi-master.
> Rather, I imagine there is _other_ information on the "secure" machine
> that is sensitive.

Richard, that is correct - the data itself is not sensitive, it just resides on a network that contains sensitive data. So far in this environment, the only solutions that have been approved for transferring data between classified and unclassified networks are air-gap solutions. I know that replication transactions can accumulate while databases are offline, but it sounds like there has to be an actual physical connection in order to propagate these transactions. I was hoping someone had come across a way to fool Oracle into thinking there was a connection.

Thanks,
Andy Received on Thu Dec 18 2003 - 08:09:28 CST