Re: UTF8 Characters Loaded With SQLLDR

From: KevJohnP <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:27:11 +1300

Be wary of how things display - as this is affected by environment settings and font availability. Best to check the raw characters in the file and in the database using the unix od command and the SQL dump() function to see what is really there and in what characterset.

Bear in mind that if necessary you can set NLS_LANG differently in the client than the server setting and Oracle will automatically convert charactersets where possible. So for example you may want to consider setting your client (Linux?) NLS_LANG to match your Linux locale as fonts are usually in the old single-byte charactersets (ISO8859) which gives issues displaying multi-byte UTF8 characters.