Re: PERMANENTLY setting shmmax in Linux - Suse Personal Edition 8.2

From: Harald Maier <harald_at_maierh.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:58:04 +0100

linuxquestion_at_yahoo.com writes:

> Ok, I have discovered the secret.
>
> You may have noticed my other post on this subject. But,
> it's so old that I can't post to it anymore. So the
> solution is here.
>
> -------------
>
> Big picture.
>
> This method uses sysctl. It does not use echo commands.
> You only edit a few files, and reboot. Just like in Solaris.
>

> You need to configure -FOUR- things. NO less.
>
> /etc/init.d/boot.sysctl is a script.
>
> /etc/init.d/boot.d is a directory.
>
> /etc/sysctl.conf is a parameter file.
>
> and then you have to create a link. I used:
>
> /etc/init.d/boot.d/S20boot.sysctl
> ---------
>
> So, it only took a month and a week to configure the
> memory at boot time. I think that what caused problems
> for me was that so much of the instructions that I found
> either assumed a knowledge that I didn't have yet, or missed
> one of the pieces or steps. Does not compute.
>

> So, for those of you struggling with such simple
> business, I hope this helps you. Please post your
> solutions when you figure them out.

Maybe I am missing something. But it looks that you are talking about Oracle on a SuSE GNU/Linux distribution and then the best solution would be to get the orarun.rpm package from the following side:

  http://www.suse.de/de/business/certifications/certified_software/oracle/index.html

The orarun.rpm package performs the setting of the kernel parameter among other things that you described in your message.

Harald Received on Thu Dec 18 2003 - 00:58:04 CST