PERMANENTLY setting shmmax in Linux - Suse Personal Edition 8.2

From: <linuxquestion_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Dec 2003 20:50:48 -0800

Ok, I have discovered the secret.

You may have noticed my other post on this subject. But, it's so old that I can't post to it anymore. So the solution is here.

Big picture.

This method uses sysctl. It does not use echo commands. You only edit a few files, and reboot. Just like in Solaris.

You need to configure -FOUR- things. NO less.

/etc/init.d/boot.sysctl is a script.

/etc/init.d/boot.d is a directory.

/etc/sysctl.conf is a parameter file.

and then you have to create a link. I used:

/etc/init.d/boot.d/S20boot.sysctl

Edit the file /etc/sysctl.conf, and insert the value for shmmax into it.

cat /etc/sysctl.conf
kernel.shmmax=2147483648

before:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
33554432

start sysctl:
/etc/init.d/boot.sysctl start

Setting current sysctl status from /etc/sysctl.conf kernel.shmmax = 2147483648

after:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
2147483648

ta da!

Now, you get this to run at boot time. (He, he, he. We'll get that server to serve ME yet, instead of the other way around!!!!)

Create the link: /etc/init.d/boot.d/S20boot.sysctl

cd /etc/init.d/boot.d

total 8

drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Oct 19 19:20 .
drwxr-xr-x   11 root     root         4096 Dec 17 21:39 ..
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           12 Oct 19 19:20 S01boot.proc

-> ../boot.proc

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Oct 19 19:20 S10boot.ipconfig -> ../boot.ipconfig
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Oct 19 19:20 S10boot.klog
-> ../boot.klog

ln -s /etc/init.d/boot.sysctl S20boot.sysctl

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Oct 19 19:20 S10boot.klog
-> ../boot.klog

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Dec 17 22:03 S20boot.sysctl -> /etc/init.d/boot.sysctl

cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
2147483648

Later, I added more entries to /etc/sysctl.conf:

kernel.shmmax=2147483648
kernel.shmmni=4096
kernel.shmall=2097152
kernel.sem="250  32000  100  128"
kernel.hostname=white

fs.file-max=65536

reboot.

cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
2147483648

cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni
4096

cat shmall
2097152

cat sem
250 32000 100 128

So, it only took a month and a week to configure the memory at boot time. I think that what caused problems for me was that so much of the instructions that I found either assumed a knowledge that I didn't have yet, or missed one of the pieces or steps. Does not compute.

So, for those of you struggling with such simple business, I hope this helps you. Please post your solutions when you figure them out. Received on Wed Dec 17 2003 - 22:50:48 CST