Re: Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and a pleasant Australia Day

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 04:08:40 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> About a year late, it is true. But this evening I finally get to move to the
> house I've built on a 10-acre property deep in Sydney's South West. Peace
> and quiet at last.

sounds nice!

> There's just one slight problem. Australia's premier telecommunications
> company (Telstra, if anyone wants to send some brickbats on my behalf)
> doesn't have any telephone lines in the vicinity, and won't have until at
> least January 23rd. Which means I'm offline for slightly over a month (this,
> by the way, is an urgent and prioritised installation!).

sounds like our telco!

> Time to do lots of writing, I suppose. But no chance of newsgroup
> participation until then (almost certainly). A friendly local Internet cafe
> means I will occasionally read emails, but it will be about twice a week,
> and replies will accordingly be rather slow coming.
>
> I wanted to live in the countryside. I hadn't realised I was going to have
> to time-travel back to somewhere before the 1940's for the privilege!!

thats also the price I pay, 28.8 (31.2 if I'm lucky) when the town a few clicks away has DSL now, our telco doesnt even plan to upgrade the phone lines so we can at least get 56.5, much less dsl out to the "sticks"

> Happy holidays, nontheless.
> HJR
Happy holidays to you & yours as well!

skal! Received on Wed Dec 17 2003 - 22:08:40 CST