Re: Responsiveness of Server at high CPU load

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:17:39 +0100

"Bob Jones" <email_at_me.not> wrote:

>In this case, you may want to provide some memory information. What is the
>RAM size and how much of it Oracle is using? The heavy swapping could be an
>indication of memory shortage. On Linux systems I have also seen kswap going
>crazy even there is no memory shortage.

OK, here we go.
4 GB RAM, about 3.5 were used by four instances, two of them 8.1.7, the other two 9.2.0.4. Number of concurrent users: perhaps 3 at max. (these are mostly test instances, used by specific developers for specific issues).

>I would suggest you to stay with major UNICES, at least for production
>systems. Despite of all the hypes around Linux, there are still many things
>to be improved, memory management being one of them. Hopefully we will see
>some of them in 2.6.

I tend to get nervous when I read that. We have spent more than 100,000.-$ doing the transition to the new Intel/Linux platform (bilding a SAN with state of the art technology). I hope you are wrong with your suggestion...

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Wed Dec 17 2003 - 18:17:39 CST