Re: Responsiveness of Server at high CPU load

From: Jarmo <jarmo_at_jarmo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:30:09 -0500

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:vti1uvcf9oasb2i8if2p6jkamrdmv3ulgl_at_4ax.com...
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:37:17 -0500, "Jarmo" <jarmo_at_jarmo.com> wrote:
>
> >"Rick Denoire" <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message
> >> (Excerpt from a TAR - still open)
> >>
> >> From time to time, our Oracle test server (9.2.0.4 on Intel/Linux, 2
> >> CPUs) got unusuable at CPU load of 99% as shown by top; in this state,
> >> nothing else could be done with Oracle, even trying to connect via
> >> sqlplus took about 1 hour (assuming one would wait that long).
> >> Processes running were Oracle processes and kswap (meaning that
> >> swapping was heavily taking place).
> >>
> >> After analyzing lots of things we found out that nothing seems to be
> >> wrong with the database - it is just that a very inefficient query is
> >> running which blocks the Oracle server and avoids any other activity.
> >
> >My limited exposure to Oracle 9 on RH Linux would suggest one, and quite
> >possibly all, of the following, in order:
> >
> >1. your system is not 'big' enough for Oracle; even the tiniest database
> >requires inordinate amounts of RAM and diskspace
> >2. you haven't set sem, shmmax, shmmni and so on to big enough numbers
> >3. there is a bug in Oracle on your version of Linux
> >4. there is a significant design flaw in Oracle that allows it to be
> >saturated by a single, errant query
> >

> 1 is simply not true
> 2 is not true. Oracle would simply fail with an error
> 3 is just guessing
> 4 is just nonsense.
> You can set up resource limits. If the query is hitting the resource
> limits it will simply be aborted.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

  1. I've yet to see a database that uses more resource for a given set of data, but feel free to share your own experience.
  2. Not in my experience. Symptoms are as likely to be exceptions within Oracle or server hangs.
  3. Agreed, but a possibility nonetheless.
  4. Your original response was to find the client who's issuing the inefficient query and tell him to fix his query. While this is a sensible thing to do, it does not address the more significant issue which is that highly-available, robust, server software should not allow any client request, however malformed or inefficient, to bring it to its knees. Ever.