Re: Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and a pleasant Australia Day

From: Norman Dunbar <norman.dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: 17 Dec 2003 10:19:18 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<3fdfd59a$0$18385$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> About a year late, it is true. But this evening I finally get to move to the
> house I've built on a 10-acre property deep in Sydney's South West. Peace
> and quiet at last.

To [mis]quote Monty Python's Life Of Brian, "You lucky, lucky barsteward!"

> There's just one slight problem. Australia's premier telecommunications
> company (Telstra, if anyone wants to send some brickbats on my behalf)

I don't think they'd listen to me, I got a job working in Melbourne some years back with them and had to turn it down on the grounds that I couldn't flog my hoose in Scotland. Sold it three weeks after that :o( I was going to be working on the FlexCab billing system - the one which was discovered to be slightly not Y2K compliant, even then. That was in about 1998 !!!

> doesn't have any telephone lines in the vicinity, and won't have until at
> least January 23rd. Which means I'm offline for slightly over a month (this,
> by the way, is an urgent and prioritised installation!).

That's thae laid back Australian way of life then ..... :o)

> I wanted to live in the countryside. I hadn't realised I was going to have
> to time-travel back to somewhere before the 1940's for the privilege!!

Them's the breaks !

> Happy holidays, nontheless.
> HJR
All the best and hopefully, the move will be smooth.

Cheers,
Norm.
(Currently at work, in a bank in England, stuck behind a serious firewall and internet/email policy. Still, Google gets there eventually.) Received on Wed Dec 17 2003 - 12:19:18 CST