Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:48:09 -0000

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1071252871.179158_at_yasure...
> sal wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > It&#8217;s curious but I can&#8217;t find any word about Grid in
documentation
> > of just appeared 10g OAS. Probably, the same situation will be
> > with upcoming 10g database.
> > May I make conclusion that Oracle 10g Grid is only marketing hype ?
> > I think that Oracle&#8217;s Grid means a big RAC (former OPS).
> > --
> > SL
>
> You can conclude anything you wish but I have been testing 10g for
> months and I have reason to believe you would be incorrect. Of course
> Grid is an extension of RAC. And of course the name has changed. It
> allows the person at Oracle that is VP of Product Renaming something to
> do. But there is more to Grid than just that name change.

Well all the marketing I have seen talks about the app servers being part of the 'Enterprise Grid'. Looks like the name change for 9.0.4 (or 5 ) App Server came too late for the docs guys to put some flannel in about Grid. I'd seriously expect given the marketing campaign for the grid as a way to sell all of Oracle products - not just the DB but iAS and collapse suite as well that the term would at least feature in a product with that name.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA