Re: Oracle 9i TNS Listener Problem

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 16 Dec 2003 23:01:06 -0800

Serhiy Brytskyy <uranium_at_ukr.net> wrote i

> I have got a next problem with TNS Listener.
> I have two servers in LAN. When I connect to remote server by SQL
> Navigator, Oracle Enterprise Manager - all is ok.
> When I connect to my local server - connection established, by TNS
> Listener crashes with Application Error:

Always state operating system version and Oracle version up front.

> "The instruction at "0x61915732" referenced memory at "0x00000578". The
> memory could not be "read"".

Likely a bad pointer - i.e. attempting to access memory that does not belong to the app.

> (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)
> (SERVICE_NAME=INVERTIX.SOFTSERVECOM.COM)(CID=(PROGRAM=D:\Program
> Files\Quest Software\SQL Navigator
> 4\SQLNav4.exe)(HOST=BOSTON)(USER=sbryt))) *
> (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.8.19)(PORT=3014)) * establish *

This connection says established - so you have an open TCP connection between SQLNav and Oracle's Listener.

The rest of the log file confirms this.

This does not look like a Listener network issue to me. Whether a network connection to ip 192.168.8.19 on port 1521 is created from the same machine or another machine, makes no difference. The protocol stack does not treat these any differently from one another.

Once the connection has been established, the Listener starts up a dedicated server process (your connection explicitly requests that). The connection is then handed over to that process. It could be that this part of the process fails with the memory error.

How does your listener.ora file look like?

When you make the local connection, do you use the same TNSalias as you do from the remote machine? How does the definition of that alias (from TNSNAMES) look like?

Are you not perhaps using an Oracle Name Server? What does your SQLNET.ORA say ito of resolving connection names?

Have you tested the TNSalias on the local machine using TNSPING? What is the result?

Have you also tested it using SQL*Plus and not SQlNav4?

--
Billy