Re: Moving Oracle to new server, unable to run dbstart

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:57:53 +1100

"Ursula Lee" <ursula.lee_at_thales-is.com> wrote in message news:brof9b$dbd19_at_imsp212.netvigator.com...
> Hi All,
>
> We would like to move the whole Oracle database into a new server
> (Release 9.2.0.1.0)
>
> Our UNIX Admin just try to move all the files from /opt/oracle to the
> new environment, but after the move, we are unable to run dbstart to
> start the Oracle instance.

First of all, stop using scripts to start your database. Do it yourself with SQL*Plus, and then you'll get a chance to see what errors are produced, and at what point the startup fails. Proper diagnosis means taking control of the process.

> 1. Can we just move the files?

No. What do you think the Control File does for a living? Answer: it contains pointers to every other file in the database (data files and online redo logs). Move those files to a new location, and the copied control file will still think they can be found in the original location. When they can't, you won't be able to get your database working.

The fix for that is to get the instance into the mounted state, and issue "alter database rename file 'x' to 'y'" commands to adjust the pointers.

But there's also a heap of non-database stuff that needs to come across before the move will work. Did your Unix Admin actually install Oracle onto the new server? Did s/he remember to bring across the init.ora, or the spfile since you have 9i? Did s/he remember to set the environment variables properly before attempting to start the database? Did s/he remember to set the kernel parameters for your operating system correctly?

Your post is so vague on the specifics of what is going on here that any and all of these issues could be to blame.

> 2. If so, anything that we miss to alter the set up?

See above. Potentially, lots.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Dec 16 2003 - 20:57:53 CST