Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 15 Dec 2003 16:29:13 -0800

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<3FDDD2D0.FCC3B718_at_yahoo.net>...

> be able to see all parts of 10g until it is released. Even those beta
> testers who have signed a non disclosure agreement will likely not be
> able to see everything in the complete package - in part because of the
> compile package description and what was available at compile time.

which brings the subject:
knowing what we all know about how "volatile" a feature set is in Oracle until production release, what value is there for these early adopters in registering for pre-beta? Probably half of the stuff won't make it to production anyway if it's too hard to fix the bugs. Not much advantage for a whole lot of pain, IMHO.

> exactly the same practice as Oracle's competition uses. (I aready hear
> the whining by people who download and use the beta as a 'competitive
> edge' or put it into production - 'you changed ... not fair!')

Bingo! Exactly my point.

> Some people believe they should have access to the full beta. Having
> seen some of Oracle's requirements and thought processes in the past, I
> believe Oracle does not want people to simply play with the package as
> is typical in the point 'n click software industry these days. Oracle
> provides beta software to organizations that will commit to resources,
> evaluation and formal feedback. Anyone who is willing contractually to
> make that committment can contact Oracle and ask to sign up (no
> guarantees to getting on though - didn't help me either!).

Yeah, sure. That's been the stated goal all along since V6. And yet, we've all seen what those fantastic beta programs have produced in terms of software stability at release time. Crap, with 8i it took until 8.1.7.4 before ALL the features actually WORKED! One wonders exactly WTF were all those "advance" Beta testers doing, after all...

> corrected limitations and moved forward. Over the past 20 years of
> working with Oracle products, I've found the general reason for name
> changes it to help idiots^H^H^H^H^H^Hpeople understand that there are
> enough changes in the new version that "you ain't in Kansas anymore".

and syphon off mostly unnecessary upgrade $$$ whenever possible...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Dec 15 2003 - 18:29:13 CST