Re: oralce personal for linux

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:04:38 GMT

No Spam wrote:

> I see there is no oracle personal for linux, what is the nearest I can do if
> i wanted to install oracle on a red hat linux, what would I need to install
> considering I do not have a remote network, could I have the host and remote
> network on the same comp, what would I need to install apart from the client
> and database?

You have a mistaken understanding of the contents of Personal Oracle. Please look through the OTN site for a document like 'Oracle9i: A Family of Products' for further information on this.

All Oracle database products can be installed on standalone (no network) machines. I have done so many times on Windows 2000, Windows NT, Solaris, Linux (RH & SuSE) with no problems. The client and server can be on the same host. However, things are much easier if you havre at least an loopback TCP architecture installed.

One way of accomplishing your network requirement is called a LoopBack Adapter, which uses IP address 127.0.0.1, to replace the physical access to the internet. Check out The Linux Documentation Project for more about this at http://www.tldp.org

In addition, Oracle attempts to be OS independant - consider using the http://otn.oracle.com/obe/start/index.html as a guide. Received on Mon Dec 15 2003 - 18:04:38 CST