strange TNS-12154

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:40:32 -0600

Oracle 8.1.7 client on Win2k server
Oracle 8.1.7.4 db on different Win2k server

Background -- we keep a central TNSNAMES file in a non-Oracle directory on one of our main DB servers. Let's say it is on dbsvr01at x:\app_info with the \app_info directory shared as app_info. As part of the Oracle client installation, whether on a desktop or a web or app server, we set TNS_ADMIN=\\dbsvr01\app_info. We set this into HKLM\LOCAL_MACHINE\ORACLE and HKLM\LOCAL_MACHINE\HOME0. This arrangement has been rock-solid for us for several years.

Got a msg from a developer working with some web apps that he had been getting TNS-12154 (could not resolve service name) errors from some new ASP modules he had just placed on the web server. He said the asp code returned the tns-12154, but when he took the code out of the asp and created a simple vb exe, it worked ok. He then added the 'missing' tnsnames entry to the local tnsnames file (there is a security issue I need to address, but is not germaine to my question) the asp page worked.

Problem is, with the registry entries set the way they are (and I confirmed myself that they are correct) I don't understand how anything he could have done to the local tnsnames could have had any effect. Or, alternatively, why the simple vb exe would have worked, but the asp page didn't.

I don't know much about how these asp pages are put together, so I ran it past another developer that I trust, and she couldn't come up with an explanation either.

So I'm on a bit of a fishing expedition . . . and am running out of bait. Does anone have any ideas? Received on Mon Dec 15 2003 - 14:40:32 CST