Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 Dec 2003 11:58:42 -0800

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<3FDDD2D0.FCC3B718_at_yahoo.net>...

> Feel free to think anything you want. The next generation of Oracle
> server products will likely be designed to support active load
> distribution in a manner currently designated as 'grid computing'. This
> means Oracle will probably have learned lessons from deployment of RAC,
> corrected limitations and moved forward. Over the past 20 years of
> working with Oracle products, I've found the general reason for name
> changes it to help idiots^H^H^H^H^H^Hpeople understand that there are
> enough changes in the new version that "you ain't in Kansas anymore".

I thought 7.2 -> 7.3 was pretty major.

> Generally ... Nice troll! You need to feed it a bit better though.

I would have agreed with Mladen if he had differentiated between Oracle Consulting and Oracle Consultants.

I think he has a point about DEC. IMO DEC was successful because it was able to skim off those customers from Iron Big Mama that could run their apps on minicomputers - and it died when it couldn't see that micros would do the same thing to it. Is the same thing going to happen with load distribution? Quite possibly, and it might be a big mistake to bet the farm on a couple of flying pigs. Big Iron is still around, after all.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"The value of a college education is far overrated." - John Moores,