Re: OCP Certification

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 Dec 2003 11:40:44 -0800

pparimal <pparimal.y8xua_at_mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message news:<pparimal.y8xua_at_mail.mcse.ms>...
> Hello
>
> I am looking for changing my career from Lotus Notes to Oracle
> Developer / DBA. I am currently Lotus Notes
> R4 / R5 / R6 certified.
>
> I did oracle development for approx. 1 year in Oracle 7.0 / Forms3.0,
>
> Now I want to get back to Oracle. If I want to do so, I think, the best
> way to start certification program.
>
> Can any one tell me,
>
> 1. Which is the best book for OCP ( developer ) and OCP ( DBA )? or
> 2. where can i get the good study material for the oracle certification
> program?
> 3. Which is the best discussion forum for oracle certification
> program?

Why, this one of course!

I agree with some of the other posts as far as the certifications and study guides being a bunch of BS, but I'm not so extreme as to say they are useless. To the contrary, I think that being able to understand and explain why the tests and guides are wrong is valuable in itself. I think there is also some value in impressing those who have no idea what we do, such as HR droids and some in management. Giving money to some training orgranization in the expectation you will get a DBA job is likely a mistake, I'm not so sure if that is true about development.

Since you have actual previous O experience, there are probably two major routes to get back into it: Find some body shop that needs bodies, or find an organization that has both Lotus and Oracle. The latter is perhaps better for your career if you can keep from getting pigeonholed as "the Lotus guy." The former can work for you if you have the sort of personality that can find opportunities where others just see problems. Certification is more of a "nice-to-have," demonstration of skills gets the job - the exceptions tend to be body shops.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus
Part time professors are the Rodney Dangerfields of their profession: