Re: Help with Mutating Table - Are there other solutions?

From: Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:58:33 +0100

contrapositive wrote:
> "Frank" <fbortel_at_nescape.net> wrote in message
>

>>Three triggers? 2; the original one (ear), and an after
>>statement trigger. Where's the third?
>>A package? Possibly - good for maintenance, considered good practice.
>>--
>>Regards, Frank van Bortel
>>

> Thanks Frank. Maybe you can elaborate. I'm not seeing how you can do this
> with just two triggers. The 3-and-1 approach I'm referring to is the classic
> workaround a la Tom Kyte (see http://asktom.oracle.com/~tkyte/Mutate/).
>
> Thanks.

That's classic, indeed - written in 1999, based on 7.3 (with extensions to 8.0).
I've never used a before trigger - but it is a good idea when you don't have error handling in place. I always have.

What about other comments re. your model? If one line can make the order hold, surely you need a flag on that level?

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel