Re: Moving an 8i Database

From: Daniel Yoo <yoo_yoo_yoo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Dec 2003 13:55:32 -0800

You could run into a problem in Win2k with max file sizes depending on the format of your drives. I think Fat 16 is 2 gig and Fat 32 is 4 gig. Of course its probably NTSF formatted and your only limitation is partition size... anyways...

The most brainless way to do it would be a full export and import using oracle's export utility (cmd exp). Assuming you can deal with such hugemongeous files.

You could export each tablespace individually and reimport them.

If I had the time I would just:

  1. Full export excluding the data
  2. Import on the new server
  3. Create a database link between the two servers
  4. Write a script that dynamically creates 'select insert into' statements for all the tables by querying all_tables excluding sys and system etc. Be sure to log (sql plus spool) everything in case you get stuck somewhere and have to restart. If you do get stuck, just truncate the table you got stuck on and rerun the script starting with the table you just truncated.

COPY COPY COPY. Finito.

Danny