Help with Mutating Table - Are there other solutions?

From: contrapositive <contrapositive_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:39:23 -0500

Two tables, ORDERS and DETAIL_LINES:

ORDERS.order_id
ORDERS.cust_id
ORDERS.order_status, etc...

DETAIL_LINES.order_id

DETAIL_LINES.line_id
DETAIL_LINES.line_status, etc...

An order has one or more detail lines.

We want an update trigger (for each row) on DETAIL_LINES that says if this line_status is being changed to HOLD, then all the other lines for this order should change to HOLD. Obviously, that means we're attempting to update the table that's being triggered, and the "mutating table" error is raised.

I've seen the three triggers and a package approach to this, and I'm ready to implement it, but I can't help but think there's some (simpler) solution that I'm overlooking.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-jk Received on Sat Dec 13 2003 - 10:39:23 CST