Re: Tablespace Fragmentation during a rebuild

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:38:27 +0100

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:59:49 GMT, "Daniel Trickett" <Daniel.Trickett_at_oracle.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a 5g tbs containing just indexes. I am moving these indexes to a
>different
>tablespace that is currently empty. I generated a script to do an alter
>rebuild,
>where I compress to single extent, and use parallel option of 8 and
>nologging.
>The target tbs grows to 15g during the rebuild and upon examination, I find
>that the indexes where not built using contiguous space. I thought that I
>had
>done this before and they were contiguous. Is the parallel option the
>culprit ?
>
>Thanks for any feedback.
>
>Dan

From Oracle 8i Concepts, Chapter 23 Parallel Execution of SQL Statements, part Parallel DDL:

"When you create indexes and tables in parallel, each parallel execution server allocates a new extent and fills the extent with the table or index’s data. Thus, if you create an index with a degree of parallelism of 3, there will be at least three extents for that index initially. This discussion also applies to rebuilding indexes in parallel and moving, splitting, or rebuilding partitions in parallel."

Jaap. Received on Sat Dec 13 2003 - 04:38:27 CST