Passing an array or records from PL/SQL to Pro*C in BULK!

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:19:57 GMT

Is there are anyway to do this?

Can someone point to a working example?

We tried varrays, and looked into passing back a table of records, but both methods seem to fetch a record by record. In fact Oracle says:

"You can only use an array of Cstructs such as object types and varrays in bulk operations as in the example. Arrays of structs can not be bound to PL/SQL tables of records as a C struct can not be bound to a PL/SQL record."

I believe Daniel suggested REF CURSORS, but I don't completely understand how that's going to solve my problem.

We tried catenating and passing back a huge string, but catenating is just too expensive (e.g. populating an array of records is 3 times faster, as dbms_profiler showed).

We must not be the only ones passing arrays or records back from oracle. So far I've only seen optimizations on passing data TO oracle.

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Fri Dec 12 2003 - 15:19:57 CST