Re: Tablespace Fragmentation during a rebuild

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:27:16 +0100

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:59:49 GMT, "Daniel Trickett" <Daniel.Trickett_at_oracle.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a 5g tbs containing just indexes. I am moving these indexes to a
>different
>tablespace that is currently empty. I generated a script to do an alter
>rebuild,
>where I compress to single extent, and use parallel option of 8 and
>nologging.
>The target tbs grows to 15g during the rebuild and upon examination, I find
>that the indexes where not built using contiguous space. I thought that I
>had
>done this before and they were contiguous. Is the parallel option the
>culprit ?
>
>Thanks for any feedback.
>
>Dan

I'm not sure, provided you are not impersonating someone from Oracle, why you are asking questions here and don't use your own tools. Maybe because you don't need to specify details about version and tablespace settings?
Applying my 10+ years experience crystall ball, I can be pretty sure you are having problems *just because* you compress into a single extent.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA