Re: OCP Certification

From: Michael J. Moore <NOhicamelSPAM_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 03:30:13 GMT

Don't buy "Oracle OCP Oracle9i Database: Fundamentals I Exam Guide". This is without a doubt the worse technical book I have ever read. I have marked over 40 errors in this book. Some are simply hard mis-statements of fact, and other are more trivial, like words left out of supposed DML syntax. But the worst part is the unclear style of writing where the author(s) apparently have no ability to put themselves in the readers shoes and see that a given statement could be understood in multiple ways. Here is a single example of the kind of crap that this book is chock full of ...
P.133 "Note that dropping the redo log group does not remove the actual file from your host machine. Those files do get automatically removed from the machine when the redo log group or members are dropped."

And this is from the "OFFICIAL AUTHORIZED Oracle Press"

The money does not matter much to me, but this book was obviously rushed to market just to make a quick buck. I get very frustrated when it seems like 'integrity' is a concept lost with old dinosaurs like me. Is there nothing left in our society that is not a scam? Governments, trusted institutions, religious organizations, health care industry, all scams. And now even vaunted ORACLE technical books, alas showing feet of clay. <sigh> Mike